Coconut oil has been consumed in tropical places for thousands of years. Studies done on native diets high in coconut oil consumption, show that these populations don’t suffer as much from the modern diseases known to the western nations where coconut oil is rarely consumed.
There are countless of uses of coconut oil, from health promoting to topical beauty applications to first aid treatments to household cleaning.
I’ll mention here only few most important benefits.
1. Ideal Cooking Oil.
Coconut oil is an ideal cooking oil, as it is one of the very few that withstands the high cooking temperatures without being damaged. Furthermore, coconut oil does not go rancid.
2. Medicinal Purposes.
Coconut oil has strong antimicrobial and antiviral properties; it destroys all kinds of microbes, from viruses to bacteria: e.g. HIV and herpes, influenza, measles, gram-negative bacteria and protozoa.
Coconut oil promotes heart health (coconut oil is “good” fat), healthy brain function, proper thyroid function, strengthens immune system, supports strong metabolism that aids weight loss etc.
- Coconut oil is easily digested and does not produce an insulin spike in the bloodstream.
3. Beauty and Personal Care.
Coconut oil aids restoring skin’s youthful appearance and as such can replace or use as a base for most of the beauty and skin care products.
It can be used alone or as a base ingredient in homemade body moisturizer, eye cream, facial cream, deodorant, toothpaste and many more.
It is also known for its hair benefits and used to restore tired hair, as a pre-shampoo conditioner or against dandruff.
Key Things to Remember
- Not all coconut oil is created equal. You need to look for organic, cold pressed, unrefined, extra virgin coconut oil. I currently use Amanprana and quite happy with it, otherwise Biona has a good quality one too.
- It is an ideal oil used for cooking, baking, frying (if you really need to fry ;))
- Coconut oil can be used as base or replacement for most of your skin care products.
- Add it to your tea or coffee, smoothie, juice or food and it will act as an appetite suppressant.