Mmmmolten Chocolate Cake
This recipe is a variation of the old recipe (Gâteau au chocolat moelleux) I modified in order to use healthier ingredients. Instead of wheat flour, white sugar, butter and cow’s milk I use spelt flour, brown unrefined sugar, coconut oil (or ghee) and dairy-free milk alternative.
My kids and family love it and in fact did not notice too much of a difference. Give it a try – it is easy to make and tastes heavenly.
Preparation time 15 min. Cooking time 30 min.
- 200 grams of dark organic chocolate
- 140 g coconut sugar or other organic unrefined sugar
- 140 g coconut oil (you can use ghee instead if you prefer)
- 4 organic eggs
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder (you can use sodium bicarbonate)
- 2 tablespoons of milk (nut milk or coconut milk)
- 100 g of spelt flour
- Preheat the oven on 175°C
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil on low heat. You can use the double boiler if you want, I found that it is enough just to make sure you cook it slowly on low heat.
- Add milk. Mix it until you obtain a nice homogeneous chocolate mixture.
- In a bowl beat the eggs and sugar until you obtain a light colored and slightly thick, foaming mixture. You can use the mixer (medium speed) but make sure you don’t overdo it (it should not become too thick).
- Add flour previously mixed with some baking powder or sodium bicarbonate.
- Gently incorporate the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
- Cover the ovenproof glass baking dish with baking paper (ovenproof glass is one of the healthiest and least expensive options).
- Put it in the oven for 25-35 minutes or until the sides of the cakes are firm but the center is soft. The less you cook it, obviously the more liquid the center of the cake will be.
- To serve, turn out the cake, and place on the serving plate, bottom side up. Decorate with some mint leaves and/or berries.
- Don’t eat to much 🙂 It is much healthier alternative compared to regular molten cake but it still full of sugar.