Chicken soup made with made with chicken bones and meat has been medically proven in number of studies to knock out a cold or the flu and speed up healing.
Chicken soup contains a number of substances with beneficial medicinal activity including an anti-inflammatory mechanism that could ease the symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections.
Here is my recipe with carefully selected ingredients all of them contributing to making this soup a good remedy for cold and flu.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 800gr of chicken (bones and meat)
- 2-3 onions (don’t peel)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 carrots
- 3 leeks
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 potato
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 medium parsnip
- 4cm long piece of ginger
- handful of parsley & cilantro (coriander) plus 4 additional garlic cloves
- salt, pepper or cayenne (as much as you can handle)
Obviously to obtain the maximum, you would need to go organic all the way.
- 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Wash veggies (onions, garlic, carrots, leeks, tomatoes, potatoes, parsnip, ginger) and then cut them coarsely into 1-2 cm cubes.
- Put the meat in large pot, and add veggies.
- Add enough pure water to just cover the meat and vegetables.
- Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer slowly for 2 hours.
- Strain (optional)
- When the soup has cooled a bit, add finely cut parsley, cilantro and garlic cloves. Remember to activate antiviral allicin in garlic by allowing chopped garlic to sit 15 minutes before adding it to the soup!